Many people today are live streaming their gaming experiences to Twitch and it has never been easier if you have a Sony Playstation 4 console. While the most popular streamers employ large and expensive streaming setups, if you own a PS4, Sony and Twitch have made it very easy to setup and start broadcasting your gameplay.
Related: Best Streaming Software for 2020
Why You Should Stream to Twitch with a PS4
Today it is easier than ever to connect to your gameplay with your Twitch audience. No longer do you require fancy, expensive or complicated PC setups in order to interact with your audience. The PS4 has most everything required built-in, with a few caveats, so you can get up and running in no time.
Here are five easy steps to broadcast your gameplay to Twitch with a PS4:
Turn On Your PS4
In order to get started streaming to Twitch from your PS4 you won’t need much except for a few basic necessities. The current generation of PS4’s are capable of processing the video capture and streaming it to Twitch. This makes the entire situation for setting up and creating a basic stream to Twitch both cheaper and easier than streaming from a PC, which requires dedicated hardware and software in order to be configured properly. Lastly, make sure your console is connected properly to your monitor or television, whichever viewing device you choose.
- Make sure your TV or Monitor is connected and powered on
- Turn on your PS4
- Connect a PS4 controller to your console
- Your PS4 controller is paramount for future steps
Download the Twitch app from the Playstation Store
Now that your PS4 and TV or monitor are powered on, you are ready to get started. Sony and Twitch have partnered up to make this a much easier experience than other streaming platforms. From the Playstation Store menu, scroll down to the App section and check the Popular category. Scrolling through the list you will see a large purple Twitch icon, click on this button in order to download and install the official Twitch app.
- Travel to the Playstation Store
- Scroll down to the App section of the menu
- Choose the Popular category under the App section
- Scroll through until you see the Twitch icon
- Download and Install the official Twitch app
Connect Your Playstation Account with Your Twitch Account
Next, you will need to activate your Twitch account for use with your PS4. Twitch provides an easy way to do this with, https://www.twitch.tv/activate. You will be prompted with a unique code from the PS4 that will need to be added to your Twitch account at the link provided above. Once you make this connection between the two accounts, you won’t have to do this again unless you either change Twitch accounts or Playstation consoles in the future. Here are a few helpful steps to guide you along the way.
- Press the Share button on your PlayStation controller.
- Select Broadcast Gameplay and choose Twitch
- Select Sign-in, your PlayStation 4 console will now give you a unique code
- On a computer, travel to https://www.twitch.tv/activate and enter the unique code
- A new option will appear on your Playstation 4, press OK
- Your PlayStation 4 and Twitch account will now be linked
Start Streaming to Twitch with Your PS4
First you will need to locate the Share button on your Playstation 4 controller. Once you have pressed the Share button a new screen will prompt you with a list of streaming platforms, from this list choose Twitch. You will have the option here to start your broadcasting, however there are a few more settings and options you will want to double check before starting your stream. From the Broadcast Settings menu you can adjust the quality of the stream, which is defaulted to 720p. If you have a very fast and stable internet connection, you should adjust the quality preset to reflect the increased bandwidth.
- Locate and Press the Share button on your Playstation 4 controller
- Choose the Twitch option from the menu
- A new screen will appear with the button that says Start Broadcasting
- Adjust your Broadcast Settings, Sony recommends 720p stream setting for most users
- Higher qualitysettings are available only if your internet can handle the increased bandwidth
Connect a Playstation 4 Camera and Microphone
Connecting a camera and microphone to your stream is another way to interact with your audience and a great way to help grow your stream. Sony has created a camera designed specifically to work with the Playstation 4 called the PS4 Camera.
Additionally, you can easily connect a Sony Playstation headset with your console, however there are more professional options for microphones that might be better suited for live streaming applications.
- Connect your Playstation 4 camera and activate it under your Broadcast Settings
- Also under the Broadcast Settings, you can adjust the microphone volume of your headset
- Once you have adjusted and approved of all the settings, press the Start Broadcasting option and being streaming to Twitch
- In order to end your Twitch stream at any time, press the Share button once again on your PS4 controller
Frequently Asked Questions about Streaming PS4 on Twitch
How do I stream to Twitch with PS4 in 2019?
The easiest way to get started is to first start the game you plan to live stream to Twitch, then press the Share button on your PS4 controller. Next you will be prompted with a Broadcast Gameplay option, select it and from the follow-up prompt choose the streaming platform, Twitch. Now you can choose the Title of your stream and adjust any broadcasting options you choose. Now you are ready to stream to Twitch with a PS4.
How do I connect my PS4 to Twitch?
First you will want to press the Share button on your PS4 controller, then you will be prompted with the Broadcast Gameplay option, select it and the following prompt for Twitch. From here you can sign into Twitch and link your PS4 account, allowing you to broadcast your gameplay stream.
Does Streamlabs work with PS4?
You are able to press the Share button on the PS4 controller and have access to many different streaming platforms, however Streamlabs requires access to a PC and therefore the majority of features associated with would also require a capture card from the PS4, capturing the output of the PS4 and sending to the input of a PC and then you could leverage the features provided by Streamlabs.
Can you use Streamlabs OBS on PS4?
The only current method requires a capture card and a PC. You would need to capture the output from the PS4 and send it into the PC. Additionally, you would require Streamlabs OBS or other streaming software in order to leverage the overlays and goodies they provide.
Do I need a capture card to stream PS4?
The PS4 can stream directly to Twitch or many other live streaming platforms through the use of an apps from the Playstation Store. The use of a capture card is not explicitly required, however you can connect the PS4 to a capture card in order to leverage the benefits of more feature rich streaming software provided on PCs.
Now You’re Ready to Stream PS4 on Twitch
With live streaming becoming ubiquitous with gameplay, more platforms are being created to leverage a burgeoning marketplace. The PS4 provides a very simple and easy to understand user interface allowing anyone can boot up and begin live streaming their favorite games in a matter of minutes thanks to the Playstation Store and Twitch.